Hey blog friends! I'm so excited to be guest posting here on All Things Blogs. I blog over at Free Spirit Reigns, where I write about everything from recipes to my cat to my family and pretty much anything in between.
Now if y'all haven't noticed yet, it's almost officially fall. My favourite seasons are summer & fall and the fact they're back to back is just awesome in my books. Now that I've enjoyed the heat, I'm ready for some cozy nights and wearing knee high socks again. Cozy nights usually include tea or hot chocolate and some sort of baked good. I'm stoked to share with you a recipe for Pumpkin Scones with a Spiced Cream Cheese Glaze. These are perfect for fall nights with a possible fireplace in the background & a cup of tea in the other. Feeling cozy yet?
Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Cream Cheese Glaze
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree - note, NOT pie filling, just pumpkin puree.
3 tablespoons half & half cream
1 large egg.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl. Stir to make sure it's evenly mixed. Cut the butter using a pastry cutter or a fork into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly and there are no chunks of butter.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, half & half and egg until smooth.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to form a ball with the dough. Note: You want to mix enough for it to come together but don't over mix! This will make for a tough scone.
5. Pat or roll the dough into a rectangle shape. Cut it down the middle lengthwise, then cut each long piece into 6 triangles. Place the scones onto the baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before putting on the glaze.
Spiced Cream Cheese Glaze
1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons half & half
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Beat the cream cheese until it is very creamy. Add the icing sugar and beat together (be careful not to shoot icing sugar everywhere! I always do this.)
2. Add vanilla and spices to cream cheese mixture & stir to combine. Add the half & half and beat until it reaches a consistency you like.
Note: these measurements are a guideline - how much icing sugar to milk ratio you use will depend on how thick or thin you like your glaze. I like mine thick enough to leave a good layer on top but still run over the edges like a glaze should. Tweak this until you have the glaze the way you like it.
Drizzle the glaze over cooled scones and let set for 30-45 minutes to let glaze hardened.
Then stuff your face with these bad boys. I made these and within a day all 12 were gone. They're just like having a bite of autumn - delicious.
If you liked this recipe you should come on over to Free Spirit Reigns and check out what else is going on. You can also find me at all these social media sites! I love hearing from readers so don't be afraid to drop a hello =)
Thanks so much for guest posting!
That looks so DELICIOUS!